The Last Phase

Source: www.mediafriendz.com
@ Delhi 
Time is 3:30am. Complete silence in my room. 

I was still awake; like the city. I could only hear the sound of water dripping from broken tap.

She hasn’t returned any of my calls. Yesterday morning I got the divorce papers from her lawyer.

How could she leave me for another man?

I loved her sincerely, and her payback was sleeping with another man in our bedroom. I left everything for her. My friends... My happiness... Everything! Just for her!


Her name was echoing in my head. I wanted to sleep, to relax. I was screaming inside. I took one from the pills that my doctor prescribed for my insomnia. So many thoughts were juggling through my head. Why should I live? Nothing’s going to happen if I am not in this world. I lost my parents when I was 3. From that day onwards my uncle took care of me. He left me last year and now Shreya. I ran towards the fridge and took a gulp from the bottle of water, and I closed the door. I saw the picture on the fridge. It was the photo of me, Ganesh and Anitha. MY BEST FRIENDS. MY WORLD. MY ALL.

I miss them every second of my life. Back in school we were inseparable. It’s been 5 years now since the three of us met. I didn’t keep in touch with them for Shreya. She didn’t like them at all. It was the most difficult decision I ever made. To chose Shreya over my friends and I am paying for it now. They understood my situation very well. They even called and messaged me. I never replied.

I felt relaxed thinking about them. “We will be there for you always” Anitha told me at my wedding holding me and Ganesh close to her. She knew that our friendship was not going to be the same after my marriage.

I felt ashamed of the foolish thought of killing myself. I decided to meet them and start my life once again.

Next Morning

I called the travel agency to book my tickets to Chennai for meeting Anitha and then to Bangalore for Ganesh. I called Anitha about the trip and she was so excited to hear about it. I couldn’t get Ganesh on line, but talked with his personal assistant and told about the trip. So many sweet and unforgettable moments with them, I was overjoyed about the trip.

@ Chennai
Monday morning I reached the hottest city of South India and checked into a hotel near Anitha’s flat. She insisted me to stay with them, but I didn’t want to intrude in their life. In the evening I bought some toys and gifts for Anitha, her hubby, and their kid, Abhishek. I remembered she always had a liking for that name – Abhishek!

Knocked the door thrice and her 5 year old boy, Abhishek, opened the door. I was so happy to see him. She came running and hugged me tight. Tears of happiness coursed down her face on seeing me after 5 long years. I also cried and hugged her tight. I missed her most in my life. She was closer to me than Ganesh.
We talked for some time and her husband came from office. He looked nice and handsome though talked less in comparison to Anitha. We all went for dinner at some hotel near her place. She was happy meeting me but looked sad at the same time. I asked her why and she playfully winked at me and laughed for some time.

Her husband was always busy on the phone. So he ordered food and went out to make a call. She looked at me with a smile and said “Arjun, my husband is cheating on me!”

I was shocked. How could he cheat on Anitha? She is the most caring and lovable person in the whole world.

“What? Are you sure about it” I asked

“Yes, it’s his boss's daughter. I confronted him and he told me the truth,” she answered looking at the food.

“Then why don’t you just leave him?” I asked

“I can’t Arjun; I should hang on to this relation for Abhishek. He has leukemia, and I can’t break his heart by separating from his father” She started crying
I looked at Abhishek; tears ran down my cheeks. He looked at me and smiled. His innocent smile. That killed me.

I took the flight to Bangalore the next morning. I felt terrible thinking about all that I heard yesterday. I cried for some more time.

@ Bangalore

Ganesh stayed not far from the airport. So I went directly to his house. He was married to a big businessman’s daughter in Bangalore. It was a love marriage. He was handling the business now and was busy all the time.

I rang the bell and his wife opened the door. She looked at me suspiciously and asked something in Kannada. I couldn’t understand anything.

I introduced myself and told that I came to see my best friend Ganesh – her husband. She still had the same look on her face and said that she doesn’t know anyone named Arjun and her husband never told spoke about me.

I felt weird hearing that. I apologized and left. I took a taxi and went directly to his office.

The office was huge. The receptionist asked me to wait and called Ganesh. She then informed me that he is at a client meeting and told me to wait for some time. I waited till evening. He didn’t show up. At 05:30, he came out of his office with his clients.

I shouted out to him in happiness. He looked at me with an awkward smile.

“Oh! Arjun! I am sorry, I was super busy in a meeting with some clients” he patted me on the shoulder.

He was not the same old Ganesh. He has changed a lot. His appearance... His character... Everything changed. I searched for the old Ganesh in his eyes. Couldn’t find him!

I felt really sad and like a homeless person begging for alms.

“So, are you leaving today? When is your train? My driver can drop you at the railway station!” he asked me with a hint of pity in his voice.

“It’s O.K. Ganesh, I will go by myself. I am really happy to see you. Goodbye” I shook his hand and left

I couldn’t think straight throughout the return trip

Back @ Delhi
Reached back at the hellhole called my house. I sat on my couch for some time.

I thought of what happening in my life.

My two best friends were the most important thing in my life.

Now that’s all lost.

I checked my call list. Shreya had called me. “Probably to remind of the divorce papers”, I said to myself

I was so lost that at that very moment that I started sweating. I have now returned to the same position I was in before I left Delhi to see my friends

I took a handful of sleeping pills and put it in my mouth.

I took a gulp of water, replaced the bottle in the refrigerator, and took the picture sitting on it and walked back to me room. I smiled, closed my eyes, and lay down on bed.

I pictured myself sitting with both of them at school. The 3 of us looked happy.

I wanted my last memory to be of the most beautiful moment with my friends.

Comments

  1. Not bad for your first ever fiction!!! I loved how the story was weaved... Great going...

    ReplyDelete
  2. brraavo..dats ws sm nice piece of work..lv it

    ReplyDelete
  3. @nikhil...thanks bro..was really scared to write a fiction one..happy it turned out to be nice..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Whaddaya Think? Please Lemme Know ! ! ! :)

Popular Posts